| We do only have a few Giant Sequoias in Denmark.
I did not understand why. I sowed one lot of seed,
but only 1% was do living after 3 years.
The old Giant Sequoia trees, by Denmark do not making
living seeds, because the trees generally do have need of two parents to
It look as the old trees do more hardy as the new
seedlings! But anybody did know the origin of new trees and anybody did
know the origin of the new seed. But to day I do know as the old seed had
been collected by cut trees by a railroad in mountain, one end by Bearskin
Grove. To day or at the period 1930-1991, the seed have been collected
close the Highway, by low level.
The Arboretet by Hørsholm has got a seeds list, which some time
tell the origin of the seeds.
- without no./43 seedlings of seeds from Knuthenborg in Denmark. One living.
- without no./44 plant from Hørsholm planteskole (a nursery). unknown
origin. One living.
- 517/51 unknown origin. Dead.
- V. 2296/55 cuttings from one tree in Knuthenborg park. One living.
- 79/59 N.T. Mirov. 340 Mulford Hall. Univ. of California, Berkerley.
Univ. of California is close to Whtaker's forest. One living. The tree
is medium-slow growing but hardy and flower 40 years old.
- S. 5978/67 Mariposa grove, Yosemite park. Dead. They been large
before they dead.
- 180/78 "General Sherman". Dead.
- 509/81 Tulare, California 36,05 N, 118,08 W. coll.: US Forest Service
no. 212-02. the same origin as 212/85. Dead by the winter 1984/85.
- 153/83 Unknown origin.
- 212/85 36"05'N, 118"08'W. U.S. Forst Service no. 212-02, 5 plants,
- 372/87 Unknown origin.
- 262/89 Sequoia National Park, ca. 6 plants.
- 37/90 Tulare Country Park grove 4800' (1460m).
- 39/90 as 37/90. Dead.
- 338/90 Mt. Home, Dead.
- 441/92 25 planter
- 445/92 1 plante
- 446/92 2 planter
I have do test 10 lot of Sequoiadendron seeds since 1991.
- 7/91 Solo Peek Grove 6500' elev., 8 parents (1980m). 105 seedlings,
- 8/91 Black Mt. 6600'(2010m) 86 seedlings. Dead.
- 9/91 Mount Home, South 6.500' many parents (1980m). 118 seedlings.
One or two plant.
- 10/91 Mount Home, Central 5.350' (1630m). 242 seedlings, One or two
- 11/91 Whitaker Forest, lower slope west, 5.350' 10+ parents (1630m).
Healthy, 40 plants only few plants plant by my experiment.
- 12/91 Big Stump Grove, vid slope /east 6400' (1950m) 25 seedlings,
- 13/91 Bearskin Grove, mid slope/East 6400'(1950m). 116
seedlings, only few plants plant by my experiment.
3 living. The most quick grooving. One seedlings was 150 mm before
any other plant been 30 mm. But the deer taken my highest plants because
it was over the snow.
- 14/91 Landslide Grove, drainage west 6400' (1950m). some seedlings
do not have chlorophyl. Healthy 160 seedlings. Dead
- 15/91 Evam's Grove, low, 6.900' sotom/east. ( 2100m) Den nest healthy
groves. 63 seedlings. Dead of frost
- 16/91 Evam's Grove, high, 7.400' mid slope/east, 68 seedlings, the
healthy grove. Dead of frost.
Seedlings of Whitaker Forest grove is the best to garden, because they
are slow grooving and hardy. But by any other intentions Bearskin Grove,
I have do test 5 lot of Sequoiadendron seeds since 1998.
- Bearskin Grove, fine seedlings
- Mc Intyre Grove, fine seedlings
- Whitaker Grove or Redwood Mountain Grove. medium.
- Mc Kinley Grove, fine fresh seeds, but few poor seedlings.
- Horseshoe Bend Grove, few seedlings, but fine seedlings.
- Nelder Grove
Only few groves do have fine seedlings.
Many poor groves have family weakness and low seeds quality.
The fine groves do have great variations, only the many normally and
quick grooving plants do they to a family.
Have all they poor groves grooving from a single tree, after the Ice
age? And are the fine groves millions of years?
Before the human Sequoiadendron living by a lightly Oak forest,
but the human kill the all the big elephants and the forest been dark,
but the the indian fire the forest every 10 year, to better hunting. But
the indian had been killed and the forest do not fire by 100 years.
Can a great fire killed one of the small groves, one of them by fine
The mountains have volcanos, volcanos of explosive type.
Slowly growing the coast ranges and taken the rain from the Sierra
Nevada, and by the last 200 year the clima had been hotter.
Never by the last 100.000.000 years had the fine Sequoiadendron seeds
groves, had been soo small as to day.
Rettet d. 1-3-99